Wednesday, May 9, 2007

To Drink or Not to Drink?

Whenever I’m traveling on business, (like this week,) I generally end up going out to eat with other people in the evenings or participating in some other social event. Inevitably I run into the same trouble every time – should I join in with everyone else and have a drink?

In general, I’m not much of a drinker. I don’t see anything wrong with it (provided no one is getting out of control,) but it’s just not my speed. I do enjoy having a quiet cocktail with a close group of friends though.

But when I’m doing a work thing, I generally steer clear. Things tend to get magnified when they are retold the next day, and I am especially susceptible to that phenomenon because I am so much younger than most of the rest of my peers. Plus, people tend to make dumb comments like telling the waiter to check my ID, and I can definitely do without that.

However, I wonder if I end up sending a message I don’t intend? Do people think I’m a snob? Also, many of them know I am a Christian – do they think that’s why I don’t drink, and do they think I am judging them because they do? That is the absolute last thing I would want.

I just can’t seem to figure out the middle ground on this one. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelley, I agree. Drinks and business do not mix. If your sitting at the table having enjoyable conversation, then they should not think that you are a snob. If they are uptight because you aren't drinking, there's a better place for them - it's called AA.

Shelley said...

Jill - thanks for helping me start off my day with a smile!