Monday, May 7, 2007

Traveling for Work

Blogging may be sporadic this week, as I will be out of town for work. I might have lots of time in the evenings to post, or I might have none at all – it just depends on what my schedule turns out to be once I get there.

Anyway, I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. The terminal is fairly empty, but of course, someone chose to sit down close to me and whip out his cell phone.

If you have traveled at all, you know exactly the kind of guy I’m talking about. Mr. “Look at me – I am wearing nice clothes and I am an important businessman – therefore I have to right to talk as loudly as I want on my cell phone without regard to how annoying I am to other people – I am so much better than you.”

And the thing is, if you eavesdrop on airport cell phone conversations, they are never very important. These guys are not involved in high level negotiations or sealing any important deals – they seem to be on the phone just for the sake of being on the phone and looking cool. The guy beside me just seems to be engaging in some office gossip. Apparently his boss is away in Key West, and there seems to be some speculation as to who he’s with. A very critical conversation I’m sure.

Personally I enjoy having a little quiet time while I wait for my plane. It’s a great time to read, people watch, or write. I know I have left everything in order at the office, and there’s nothing I can accomplish on the phone. Might as well just relax before I get on the plane and wedge myself between the fat guy that smells like cheese and the mom with the snotty crying baby. Oh the joys of travel.

No comments: